There will be an election on August 3, 2021. On the ballot, all township voters will be presented with a millage renewal question to fund operations of the Houghton County Medical Care Facility for a period of 4 years. The ballot language for that election is presented here for your review:
Tax Limitation Renewal Proposition for
Operation of the Canal View ~ Houghton County
Shall the limitation on the total amount of taxes which may be assessed against all property in the County of Houghton be increased 2.25 mills ($2.25 per $1,000 of taxable valuation) which will provide tax revenue to an estimated $2,250,000 for 2022 for a period of 4 years, 2022 – 2025 inclusive, for taxes so raised to be used exclusively for the operation of the Houghton County Medical Care Facility (this being a renewal of the 2.55310 mills which will expire with the 2021 tax levy)?
Additionally, there will be a millage renewal question, only for the voters of the Hubbell Fire District. This question will ask for a renewal of 2 mills to fund fire service in the Hubbell Fire District for a period of 10 years. The ballot language for that election is presented here for your review:
BALLOT PROPOSAL FOR HUBBELL FIRE DISTRICT 1
Authorization for hydrant lines, modification of fire station, new equipment, replacement of fire truck
Shall the expired previous voted increases in the tax limitations imposed under Article IX, Sec. 6 of the Michigan Constitution in Torch Lake Township, of 2 mills ($2.00 per $1,000 of taxable value), reduced to 1.9682 mills ($1.9682 per $1,000 of taxable value), by the required millage rollbacks, be renewed at and increased to the original voted 2 mills ($2.00 per $1,000 of taxable value) and levied for ten years, 2021 through 2030 inclusive, and be used exclusively for the cost of hydrant lines, modifications to the fire station, and the purchase of new fire equipment, and the possibility of a fire truck for Hubbell Fire District 1, raising an estimated $24,500.00 in the first year the millage is levied?
In the past, the funds raised through this millage has funded repairs to the aging fire hydrant lines, a small addition to the firehall to house vehicles, and fire fighting gear and equipment for our volunteer firefighters. Additionally, our Fire Chief is always looking for ways to make the money go further. Recently, we were able to acquire equipment through a grant that required only a 5% match from the township. The other 95% was funded through the grant program.
Absent the steady support of the community through this millage, we would not be able to provide the level of fire service that we are currently able to.
ABSENTEE VOTING OPTION
As a reminder, you are able to vote by mail when you request an absent voter ballot from the Township Clerk. You do not need to state a reason to receive an absent voter ballot.
You may contact the Township Clerk at 906-296-0214 to request an absent voter ballot. When you complete and return the request form, a ballot will be sent to you when they become available.
This option is intended to boost participation in elections. Please make it a point to either vote in person on August 3rd, or request an absent voter ballot and submit your vote by mail.More information is available at the Secretary of State website: https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1633_8716-21037–,00.html